- About SAPICS
- SAPICS Professional Body
- Career Center
The field of production and inventory management has long been a key element in the improvement in productivity in the field of manufacturing. A company’s ability to create a competitive advantage can only be achieved by qualified and skilled personnel who possess an understanding of how operations contributes to a company’s continual growth in today’s competitive market.
About the course
The Principles of Production and Inventory Management is an intermediary level course for those wishing to make a career in one of the many disciplines of supply chain and operations management. This course assumes prior knowledge of the basics of supply chain and operations techniques and serves as a stepping stone to a certification in supply chain and operations management.
Who would benefit from attending this course?
This course is designed for individuals working in the field of Production and Inventory Management who want to obtain or update their professional knowledge, those entering this field or working in a related field such as Purchasing, Accounting, Marketing, Engineering, Data Processing etc.
It is recommended that a learner should have a minimum of a Grade 12/Matric.
PPIM course outline
The course consists of seventeen sessions and two exams:
1. Manufacturing Strategies and Resource Management
2. Product and Process Design
3. Forecasting and Forecasting Techniques
4. Production Planning and Master Scheduling
5. Materials Planning
6. Capacity Planning
7. Project Management
8. Intermittent Production Systems
9. Continuous Production Systems
10. Mid Term Exam
11. Fundamentals of Inventory Management
12. Inventory Methodologies and Lot-Sizing Techniques
13. Lean and Waste Elimination
14. Purchasing and Procurement
15. Warehousing and Materials Handling
16. Quality Strategies
17. Facilities Location and Transportation
18. Distribution Management
19. Final Exam
This course is non-unit standard aligned and non-accredited.
- Led by experienced instructors
- Structured classroom environment ensures that you will stay on track with your studies
- Peer discussions help reinforce learning materials
- Prepare from home, work, or while traveling
- Save time and money on travel to training venues
Find an AEP
To enquire about PPIM instructor led courses offered by the SAPICS Authorized Education Partners (AEPs) please click here.
Attend a PPIM course
Attend classes – 3 hours per week over 17 weeks. Homework will need to be done after each session.
About the exam
The mid-term exam is based on content of Sessions 1 to 9. The final exam is based on the content of Sessions 11 to 18. Both are closed book exams. Both exams consists of 30 true/false questions and 50 multiple choice questions. Each true/false question marked correct will earn 1 mark; each multiple choice question marked correct will earn 2 marks. The total marks available for each exam: 130. A learner requires 65 marks (50%) to pass the exam. There is no negative marking. To pass the course and earn the Certificate of Achievement, a learner will need an overall score of at least 50% in both the mid-term and the final examination with a combined minimum of 50% in the homework and 50% in the two examinations.